My immediate reaction is that technology is extremely efficient and convenient in this new world of progress. However, there is just SO much available out there, almost too much sometimes. Sure, it's easier to "Google" anything and everything, but that's just it...anything and everything is available! Bad and good. The world is a lot smaller now with technology which when used appropriately, it's a great thing! My main point being when technology is used appropriately and safely, then it is powerful and extremely helpful. What scares me about technology is with all the psychos in this world, extreme radicals who know and have too much access to what they shouldn't know, and let alone personal privacy and safety. Sure, technology can be regulated when used in the classroom, but once the students are on their own, it can be a different story.
When students can access computers, typing, and online resources, I think it's awesome because it's the truth about where we are today and where we will continue to move forward into. Again, my main word is "appropriately." Looking up definitions, articles, etc. are useful tools and I'm excited to see where it all goes!
Interesting Read!
http://bigthink.com/endless-innovation/information-overload-there-has-always-been-too-much-to-know
Jani - I totally agree, technology can be a very scary thing. We are probably never safe online and our personal privacy and security is always at risk. But, it is definitely true that technology has so many great benefits for the classroom and for life (when used appropriately). I think just like anything else in our world, it will be our job to teach about the benefits and dangers of using technology in our classrooms and everywhere else in our lives. The digital world and the physical world are entangled everywhere, everyday. Therefore, I believe we must start to think about how we educate our students about that digital world...its remarkableness and its peril. I found this really great website called staysafeonline.org. They had a great article titled "Raising Digital Citizens." Check it out here...http://www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/for-parents/raising-digital-citizens
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great insights!